Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Tombstone Tuesday - My grandfather, Virgil Crew


 

Virgil Cancil Crew
Born: 11 May 1909 in Gormon, Eastland Co., Texas
Died: 21 October 1979 in Porterville, Tulare Co., California
Buried: Vandalia Cemetery, Porterville, Tulare Co., California
Plot: A-17-3

My grandmother, Gladys is not buried with Virgil.


This is a photo of Virgil with an unknown Lelia (possibly his sister) taken about 1929.  They are obviously on a farm but I'm not sure if this was a home farm or where Virgil worked.  I'm also not sure if this photo was taken in Texas or California.  He married my grandmother in late 1930 in California.  

I've always loved this photo of my grandfather.  There are only two photos I know of that show him smiling.  Apparently, he was a very serious man.  I'm not sure when this photo was taken but it was taken at the Tulare fair.   He clearly is very happy about something!











Virgil died when I was 10 years old. His funeral was the first I ever attended.  The only memory I have of him while he was alive is of he and my father playing dominos when we visited my grandparents house.

My grandfather could have told me so many things about his life had I only been older or if he had been well.  Miss you, grandpa!




Copyright © 2009 Regina De León. All rights reserved.


blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails