Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Tombstone Tuesday - Gladys Jane Montgomery Crew Holland


My grandmother, Gladys Jane Montgomery Crew Holland
Born: 4 October 1914 in Boerne, Kendall County, Texas
Died: 24 January 2002 in Truth or Consequences, Sierra County, New Mexico
Buried: 28 January 2002 - Vista Memory Gardens, Truth or Consequences, Sierra County, New Mexico

She was married to Virgil Cancil Crew on 8 October 1930.  She was 4 days past her 16th birthday.
After grandpa died, she married Jeffie Glen Holland on 1 November 1980.

One of my fondest memories of Grandma is playing checkers with her for hours on end during our family visits to see my Grandparents.  I must have been about eight.  I won a lot but I lost just as many.  I knew that she was not "letting me win", at lest as I got older.

Around the time Grandpa died, I started to ask Grandma about her family.  She was able to tell me many things about her immediate family but she knew little or nothing about her grandparents or beyond.  It was these discussions that started me thinking about searching her side of the family.

Just before she died, she moved to New Mexico with my Aunt.  Upon packing up the house, she was giving away her "treasures".  I was the grateful recipient of her Bible.  


The photos below are of Grandma and her two husbands.  The first, taken in 1930. The second, taken in 1995 at my wedding. 




Photo: Gladys & Virgil, 1930 - Left: Gladys Jane Montgomery. Right: Virgil Cancil Crew. Tulare Co., California. Digital image. Privately held by Regina De León, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE], California, 2009.  All rights reserved.






Photo: Gladys & Glen, 14 January 1995 - Left: Gladys Jane Montgomery Crew Holland. Right: Jeffie Glen Holland.  Gardena, Los Angeles Co., California. Digital image. Privately held by Regina De León, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE], California, 2009.  All rights reserved.





Copyright © 2009 Regina De León. All rights reserved.


blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails