Sunday, October 24, 2010

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Same birthday as yours?

Another awesome mission from Randy Seaver over at Genea-Musings:

1)  Is there a person in your genealogy database that has the same birth date that you do?  If so, tell us about him or her - what do you know, and how is s/he related to you?

2)  For bonus points, how did you determine this?  What feature or process did you use in your software to work this problem out?  I think the Calendar feature probably does it, but perhaps you have a trick to make this work outside of the calendar function.

I knew there was at least one person that I share my birthday with. (Or more correctly I share their birthday since they had it much earlier then I did.)  What I found out by doing a search of my database is that there are three people that share the same birthday of January 28, two are related to me by blood and one has no blood relationship to me.

  1. My grand Aunt, Geneva “Neva” Bynum McCaffree was born 28 January 1909 in Texas (probably in Fannin County).  She was also married on January 28 in 1928.
  2. Annie Hefner, my 1st cousin 3 times removed was born 28 January 1865 in Texas.
  3. Lastly Hugo Kraft, who is not related to me by blood.  He is the brother-in-law of a great grand aunt according to Ancestry.  His birthday is January 28, 1900 in Texas.

So how did I find these date matches in my RootsMagic database?  Actually when I started I had no idea how to find this information but I remembered there was a place to do detailed searches.  The correct place was pretty easy to find:  Click “Search” on the toolbar, select “Person List”, then “Find” in the RootsMagic Explorer.  Another box pops up where you can select fields to search.  I chose “Birth”, “date”, “equals” and “28 January”.  Click “OK”.  The program will search the database and you can click through the matches.  It was pretty easy.



Copyright © 2010 Regina De León. All rights reserved.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails