Saturday, March 26, 2011

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - How Many Surnames?

Tonight's instructions from Randy:

1)  Go into your Genealogy Management Program (GMP; either software on your computer, or an online family tree) and figure out how to Count how many surnames you have in your family tree database.
2)  Tell us which GMP you're using and how you did this task.
3)  Tell us how many surnames, and if possible, which Surname has the most entries.  If this excites you, tell us which surnames are in the top 5!

I , like Randy use RootsMagic 4 so I used the same procedure he did. Open RootsMagic, click Reports, then Lists, scroll down to Surname Statistics list.  I selected Frequency of Surname for the report to run. It took only a few seconds to generate the report, although a Total at the end of the report would have been nice.

I ended up with a 12 page report.  Scrolling through, I noticed that there are some surnames that are misspelled or otherwise should be combined.  (I’ve got work to do!)

With roughly 47 names on 11 pages and 38 on page 12, that’s 555 surnames.  My top five are:

  • Hefner – 101 persons from 1755 – 2008
  • Crew – 96 persons from 1692 – 2009
  • Kraft – 83 persons from 1827 – 2008
  • Hicks – 75 persons from 1795 – 2007
  • Bynum – 72 persons from 1664 – 2010

In sixth place is the surname UNKNOWN with 61 persons from 1656 to 2002.  I also noticed that there are 6 persons with a blank last name.  These two “surnames” should be joined but even so, they would not make the top five.

I’m surprised to see the Kraft surname in the top five.  I have unrelated Krafts on both my paternal and maternal lines.  I guess they really “add up”!  Winking smile

Thanks Randy for an interesting and enlightening exercise!

Happy Hunting!

Copyright © 2011 Regina De León. All rights reserved.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails