Saturday, April 02, 2011

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - The 1940 US Census

Here are the instructions for tonight:

1)  Know that the 1940 United States Census will be released for public viewing on the National Archives website on Monday, 2 April 2012 (366 days from today!).  My understanding is that, when it is first released, that there will be no indexes available - we will have to search them the "old way" - with known addresses, finding enumeration districts from maps and websites, and then go page-by-page to find our folks.  Eventually, there will be indexes available, but we don't know how long after the release that will be.
2)  Which of your ancestral family members will be in the 1940 census?  Consider not just your ancestors, but also their siblings. 
3)  Where did your ancestral family members live in 1940 on Census Day?  Have you found all of the addresses in city directories or telephone books?  Please list the ones you know the addresses of, and the ones you need to find addresses for.

I must admit I’d not given much thought to searching the 1940 census. I know that it will be released in April of 2012 and every time I came across an ancestor that could be in the 1940 census my thought was “wish I could look there NOW but it will have to wait”.  So quickly perusing my database, it seems that most of my close ancestors would have been enumerated in the 1940 census, including my parents, grandparents and aunts and uncles. 

  • My Father, J C Bynum and 10 of his siblings.  I don’t have exact addresses for them but know most were in Hutchinson County, Texas, probably in Fritch or Borger.
  • Grandfather and Grandmother Bynum.  Again living either in Fritch or Borger, Hutchinson County, Texas.
  • Great Grandmother, Lula Hefner Webb.  She would be living in Borger, Hutchinson County, Texas.
  • My Great Grandmother, Ada Adelia Perryman Perdue.  She died in 1941 in Honey Grove, Fannin County, Texas. 
  • My mother, Dorothy and her two siblings. They were in Porterville, Tulare County, California.
  • My maternal grandfather and grandmother. Living in Porterville, Tulare County, California.
  • My great grandmother, Minnie Schmidt Montgomery DeLaney.  She would also be in Porterville, Tulare County, California.
  • My great, great grandfather, Hubert Schmidt.  He was living in New Braunfels, Comal County, Texas.

These are only a few of the people in my database that were alive in 1940.  I suspect that there are many, many individuals in my database that could and should be located in the 1940 census. (I’ve been trying to find a way to extract that data from both Rootsmagic4 and Legacy with no luck.  If anyone reading this could help me, please post a comment.)

 Happy Hunting!

Copyright © 2011 Regina De León. All rights reserved.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails